conflict with macports

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 13:41:20 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Lack of manpower (and understanding about best packaging practice on
>> different OSes). It is also not impossible that they simply don't know
>> how to install MacPorts elsewhere.
>
> they don't need to install macports anywhere else
>
> they can copy the libs they want (and the libs that those libs use), put them somewhere else, and use install_name_tool to fix the path(s) embedded in the libs so that they still work.

I'm not claiming it's the case here, but there is some software where
install_name_tool simply isn't enough. A lot of software packages
hardcode the configure-time variables into the binary and use those
variables to find files later (when running the software).

Such sources might need special attention and fixes.

Mojca