conflict with macports

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Jun 12 13:20:02 PDT 2014

On Jun 12, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>>> I received the same email as you did.
>>> I suggested that he could use MacPorts into /opt/z88 or something similar.  But, given this email chain, I will instead suggest using dylibbundler.
>>
>> It's not clear exactly what they're doing that prevents them from
>> installing into a different prefix.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't know the project, but my guess is ...
>
> Lack of manpower (and understanding about best packaging practice on
> different OSes). It is also not impossible that they simply don't know
> how to install MacPorts elsewhere.

they don't need to install macports anywhere else

> Take a look at their sources, particularly at their Makefiles. Or take
> a look at the manual to see installation instructions.
>
> By far the easiest short-term solution would be to make a Portfile and
> then advise everyone to use the package from MacPorts as opposed to
> installing their binary package.
>
> In the next step someone can help them rewrite the Makefiles. And then
> fix the binary package, step by step.

they can copy the libs they want (and the libs that those libs use), put them somewhere else, and use install_name_tool to fix the path(s) embedded in the libs so that they still work.

Bonus points for putting them inside their app bundle (and extra bonus points for using the tool that was pointed out to help with this).

--
Daniel J. Luke