[121204] trunk/dports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 21 16:12:59 PDT 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 9:51 PM, dstrubbe at macports.org wrote:

> czmq, crossroads, py-zmq: changed references to 0MQ that used the O with slash special character. This was displayed as à in commands such as 'port search' and indeed crashed the command so that no further output would be shown after it (at least on my machines). Same happened for 'svn diff' even for this commit. By contrast, in other places this library is referred to as 0MQ or ZeroMQ, which does not cause such problems.

Use of non-ASCII characters in portfiles should not be a problem. Portfiles are defined as being UTF-8 files and they display fine for me as such in the terminal. Many other ports use UTF-8 characters, such as smart quotes, and I don't think we should attempt to go back to using ASCII only because it's just so limiting.