[121204] trunk/dports

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Sun Jun 22 17:12:36 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014, at 07:43 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> The "average user" is not even using xterm.

The average user who uses GNU Radio via MacPorts on OSX is using an
xterm; I actually do not know of an OSX GNU Radio user who does not use
an xterm.  Many of them are very typical average users who can follow
basic instructions such as found in our install guides, but not much
more.  Setting the PATH per MacPorts install instructions about their
user level; issuing "sudo port install gnuradio" is right about the same
level. I don't ask them to "try this patch", but instead I send
instructions such as:
---
Issue the command:
{{{
cp `port work gnuradio`/build/CMakeCache.txt
~/Desktop/gr_cmake_cache.txt
}}}
and then send me the file ~/Desktop/gr_cmake_cache.txt.
---
And, with this level of instructions I've rarely has a user mess up
(but, it has happened a few times).

That said, it's quite possible that I've messed up my xterm settings
somehow, which is causing the locking (me, and David apparently).  I
believe this has to do with how the xterm interprets the streamed
characters (sort of like setting LANG="C" to get SED to work), but since
it happens rarely with the ports I use regularly I've never really
investigated.

I don't see this as a critical issue with MacPorts.  I was more agreeing
with David's comment that although using UTF-8, as Ryan wrote: "should
not be a problem", it can be a problem for some users -- including some
who are not average users; I hope I'm not considered just an average
user! - MLD