Missing (build) dependencies as found through trace mode.

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Fri Jun 27 16:44:29 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I wonder what to do with "missing" build time dependencies as found by running
trace mode, which are optional though.

Quick example to let you actually grasp what I'm talking about:

apache2 configure + build phase:
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/elinks =>
port:elinks
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/gawk => port:gawk
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/grep => port:grep
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/links =>
port:links
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/lynx => port:lynx
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/pkg-config =>
port:pkg-config
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/ranlib =>
port:cctools
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/rsync =>
port:rsync
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/ar =>
port:cctools
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /opt/local/bin/nm => port:
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox:
/opt/local/include/mach-o/loader.h => port:cctools-headers

configure, the build process and installing worked fine, but I still wonder if
there is any "policy" on handling this.

For gawk, grep and maybe rsync I'd do nothing, as awk, grep and rsync are
provided by OS X directly. So unless the build fails, I'd ignore them.

pkg-config on the other hand is quite another issue and should to my mind be
added as a build dependency.

The third category is cctools with ranlib, as and whatnot and cctools-headers:
even though they are provided by the system as well, do we want to rather rely
on the MacPorts versions or the system versions? I'm not sure/decided on this
point.

The other tools links, lynx, elinks fall into another category I have really no
idea how to handle: while they seem to certainly be optional, shouldn't we make
apache2 happy by providing them? Or is that useless bloating?

Mihai