Question regarding +debug variant of KDE ports and qt4-mac

"Marko Käning" mk-macports at techno.ms
Mon Jun 30 00:36:04 PDT 2014

Hi Michael,

> I like this as a general idea, because it is often useful to debug some
> subset of a group of ports, maybe all of the dependent ports, and maybe
> just the primary port in question.

yep.

> If done correctly, one can "enforce variants" to get +debug everywhere
> possible. Or, just for the ports needed. Since +debug is generally not
> the default, this would help speed up those installs using +debug which
> would be compiled from source locally.

I figure you're talking in general here, i.e. it would be the to be newly
introduced variant debug_kde which you're talking about, right?

> qt4-mac (and, now qt5-mac), are notorious for being enormous
> time consuming compiles, for which having a pre-compiled binary for
> "most users" is a big win.

That's the idea. :)

> Anyway, I hope I interpreted your proposal correctly, Marko. - MLD

Well, I hope I did interprete your response correctly, Michael. ;)

Anyway, it is awesome to see qt5-mac appearing on the scene!!!
I am looking forward to learn from its setup for the KDE/CI system which
I am currently working on [1].

Re qt5-mac I am wondering whether coinstallability with qt4-mac will be
achieved at some point, as it was already discussed in the related ticket [2].
I'll post my question comment there.

Thanks so much for bringing qt5 now MacPorts'ish to OSX!!!

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems/KDEMacPortsCI
[2] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/37331