Question regarding +debug variant of KDE ports and qt4-mac

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Jun 30 06:25:01 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 03:36 AM, Marko Käning wrote:
> > If done correctly, one can "enforce variants" to get +debug everywhere
> > possible. Or, just for the ports needed. Since +debug is generally not
> > the default, this would help speed up those installs using +debug which
> > would be compiled from source locally.
>
> I figure you're talking in general here, i.e. it would be the to be newly
> introduced variant debug_kde which you're talking about, right?

Actually, I was going for the more general approach: Any port can have a
+debug option. In order to debug a specific port, we sometimes need all
dependencies to include the +debug option as well as keep the build
around; though, sometimes we can get away with a smaller subset of
dependency ports using the +debug option. So, go ahead and +debug as
before; this allows the user the ability to select which ports are
+debug and which are not. One can always use "enforce variants" to get
as many dependencies as possible using +debug.

Basically: I'd prefer to not have a new variant just for KDE for
debugging purposes. I don't see that as a necessity. I think it's wiser
to keep within the current MO of MacPorts for +debug. That said, I'm not
longer helping with KDE; so, if you feel (and the MP top-devs agree)
that this would make sense, then go for it!

> Anyway, it is awesome to see qt5-mac appearing on the scene!!!
> I am looking forward to learn from its setup for the KDE/CI system which
> I am currently working on [1].
> Thanks so much for bringing qt5 now MacPorts'ish to OSX!!!

Yes, yes it is. I give full credit to mcalhoun!

> Re qt5-mac I am wondering whether coinstallability with qt4-mac will be
> achieved at some point, as it was already discussed in the related ticket
> [2]. I'll post my question comment there.

My recommendation is to move the Qt ports to qt_dir ==
"${prefix}/libexec/${name}/". This way we force any project using them
to use a specific version, no defaults provided. This might cause
headaches for a few ports, but I'll guess very few ports since most use
qmake -- which is designed to work very well in any install location. -
MLD