MacPorts automake and python

David Evans devans at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 15:59:03 PDT 2014

On 3/20/14 2:57 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Before: my project installed into /path/foo/a
>> After:  my project installed into /path/foo/b
> Got you, if I configured using: ./configure --prefix=$HOME/opt
>
> the the Python modules would be installed in:
> $HOME/opt/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>
> After the change it wants to install them in:
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

Sorry for not responding sooner.  I have been busy with non-MacPorts
issues today myself.

This answers one of my questions as well.   The second related question
is what exactly is being installed
in site-packages?  If it's a python extension module and you expect it
to be available to MacPorts python27
via import or the like, I appears to me that you would get an error that
the module can't be found because
it's not in Pythons true installation prefix.

What's your motivation for installing it elsewhere?  Trying to
understand but I guess I'm being dense.