buildbot emails

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Mar 26 07:37:09 PDT 2014

On 2014-3-27 00:59 , Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> Hello Shree.
>
> I wanted to point out a few possible problems I’ve noticed about emails from the buildbot:
>  * mixed-case headers
>  * too many recipients
>
> I suspect all headers should be title case while some of them are not e.g. Return-Path versus current Return-path:

My reading of RFC 5322 is that the header field names are case-insensitive.

   "Characters will be specified either by a decimal value
   (e.g., the value %d65 for uppercase A and %d97 for lowercase A) or by
   a case-insensitive literal value enclosed in quotation marks (e.g.,
   "A" for either uppercase or lowercase A)."

"   message-id      =   "Message-ID:" msg-id CRLF

   in-reply-to     =   "In-Reply-To:" 1*msg-id CRLF

   references      =   "References:" 1*msg-id CRLF"

> When there are many builds, the recipient list can be quite large. Email services tend to think a huge, sorted list of recipients is spammy. Could we possibly become BCC on the email? Or one email generated per recipient?

Buildbot doesn't appear to offer those options.

- Josh