Identifying possible situations for interactivity

Shashwat Pandey devshashwatpandey at gmail.com
Mon May 12 07:04:15 PDT 2014

Hi all

I am working on the Interactive Port Command project for GSoC 2014. To
begin with my project i first need to identify places where implementing
interactivity(user decisions/approvals) will stop Macports from quitting as
the user input will resolve any conflicts. In general terms i have to
identify any place where interactivity makes sense.

For this I need the help of the list. Below are all places known to me.
Please help me by adding to it.

- When trying to install a port that conflicts with a port you already
   have installed, ask the user whether the conflicting port should be
   disabled.
- When trying to install a port but one of the files installed by this
   port is already present, ask the user whether the file should be
   overwritten.
- When a user tries to install a port, display a list of ports that
   will be installed as dependencies and ask for confirmation (unless
   there aren't any dependencies to be installed), like apt-get does.
- Asking for permission in a situation where uninstalling a package will
break another package that's still installed and depends on the
to-be-uninstalled package.