How identify and remove leftover files on buildbots?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 2 16:05:00 PST 2014

On Nov 2, 2014, at 5:37 PM, Marko Käning wrote:

> On 03 Nov 2014, at 00:21 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> And is rkward moving from the rkward port into the R port now, or what?
>
> No, it’s a little weird:
>
> When installing rkward it makes use of R's install feature which will then
> put some of rkward's files into R’s own install location.
>
> When uninstalling or deactivating rkward should actually also remove or move
> aside those files from R’s install location. But MacPorts can’t handle that,
> of course.
> So, deactivation is potentially a dangerous thing.
>
> But this is used on the buildbots to install all dependencies of a specific
> port and I am not sure what implications this has - in general - for the
> buildbots…
>
> And to be able to install an upgraded version of rkward I now need to remove
> its old files in R’s location as well.

The code you've been showing us was to go in the R port, right?

In which case, the behavior you'll get with your proposed change is:

1. User installs the R and rkward ports. rkward is now installed.
2. User upgrades R to a new version. The rkward port is still installed but the rkward files that had been installed into the R.framework are no longer installed.

This does not seem like the desired behavior.

Why do you need to delete these files? Can new versions of rkward not overwrite the old files? If not, shouldn't the deletion of these files be happening in rkward's pre-activate, not R's?

Ideally we would figure out how to make R's install feature install into the destroot.