[127967] trunk/dports/finance/bitcoind/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 10 00:13:20 PST 2014

On Nov 10, 2014, at 1:55 AM, Mark Evenson wrote:

> On 2014/11/10 08:03, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Are you sure just increasing the epoch is sufficient? Usually the version or revision should be increased when replacing a port.
>
> I was [following the advice of step 4 in the PortfileRecipes][1],
> without really understanding what sort of behavior this is supposed to
> trigger that I could test for.
>
> Would you recommend changing the version to match bitcoin as well then?
>
> [1]: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#replaced-by

The behavior you're trying to trigger is that a user who has the previous version of the port installed sees in "port outdated" that a new version is available. Does that happen?

The epoch is used when a new version of a project appears to MacPorts' vercmp function to be older. That's not the case here.