[127391] trunk/dports/kde

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 23:34:01 PDT 2014

Hi Nicolas,

On 27/10/2014, at 3:02 PM, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
> On 27/10/2014 12:24, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Well, I just tried that and here is what happened…
>>
>> Tara:~>sudo port install palapeli +debug
>> --->  Computing dependencies for palapeli
>> --->  Fetching archive for palapeli
>> --->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3_0+debug.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/palapeli
>> --->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3_0+debug.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/palapeli
>> --->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3_0+debug.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://nue.de.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/palapeli
>> --->  Fetching distfiles for palapeli
>> --->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3.tar.xz from http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/kde/stable/4.13.3/src
>> --->  Verifying checksums for palapeli
>> --->  Extracting palapeli
>> Error: org.macports.extract for port palapeli returned:
>>
>> ERROR:
>>  In order to install this port as +debug,
>> Qt4 must also be installed with +debug.
>>
> This is a behaviour that is specific to the kde4 portgroup. More specifically, it is specific to the qt4 portgroup, on which kde4 one depends (see r73101).
>
> If you then say that this is not needed, it is the portgroup which should be modified, not macports' behaviour.

Well, yes, I agree.  But portgroups are not my area of expertise, so I am
relying on advice from you and Ryan here.

The worst that can happen, FWICS, if you remove the requirement to install
Qt4 with debug when anyone wants some KDE software with debug, is that,
if they get a crash or want to use a debugger, the symbols will peter out if the
problem was thrown up within the Qt4 library.  It is quite normal for Qt4 to
induce a crash, e.g. if one's KDE code marches past the end of a list or array.
However, one can see where the KDE code was just before entering Qt and
that and the Qt crash-message are enough information I reckon.

OTOH, if you turn on debug in the Qt4 library, my understanding is that you
will get flooded with loads of debug log-messages… for debugging Qt itself...
I have never verified that, because KDE developer texts (on Linux) recommend
that you NOT turn on debug in Qt4, so I have never (in 12 years) turned it on.

If it will not break anything in MacPorts, let's remove the requirement for
debug in Qt4.  Then we will all be able to build debugging versions of KDE
apps, libraries and utilities, to any required depth, using the principle Ryan
has explained so well.  That should be a lot of help with diagnosing KDE
problems in MacPorts and Apple OS X, of which there are a few… ;-)

And THEN there will be no need for René's "nostrip" variant, which is where
this thread started out… :-)

So what do you say, Nicolas?  You're the man on this one.

Cheers, Ian W.