Unexpected clean

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. dersh at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 9 06:52:22 PDT 2014

On Sep 9, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I do understand why the behavior happened, and I am not sure of the best solution going forward.  Perhaps, when doing upgrades due to “scanning binaries for linking errors” macports should honor the full command line?  I did tell it not to upgrade openmodelica-devel, and it did it anyway.
> Is there anything that I could have done differently (other then not using -u?)
>
> If openmodelica-devel was rebuilt by rev-upgrade, it was because it was affected by a link error. As such it would have been rebuilt unconditionally, and by necessity to the latest version. I can't speak to applicability of -u to rev-upgrade.
>
> In cases like this you might want to disable the automatic rev-upgrade. That said, the fact that it was rebuilt does mean that the old version *was broken* by some other upgrade. You may need to block upgrades of dependencies in order to keep the older version functional.
>
> --

The difficulty, from a user perspective, is that it is not obvious when this kind of case will occur.  I saw that I had some outdated ports, and did an upgrade of outdated and not openmodelica-devel.  The difficulty is that one of those ports was omniORBpy which is what would have “broken" openmodelica-devel and caused the rev-upgrade.  This is not something that would have been obvious beforehand.  And also, is not a problem by itself.
The problem is that “-u” got passed to this rev-upgrade so during that process, all the old ones were deleted.  The idea that "sudo port -u upgrade outdated and not openmodelica-devel” will not only upgrade openmodelica-devel but also delete all the old version of that specific port seems like a trap to users.

—Adam