RFC: Python maintenance policy

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Sep 23 17:56:21 PDT 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 3:49 AM, Andrea D'Amore <and.damore at macports.org> wrote:

> The policy is informally half in place, noone is actually creating new
> py24-foo or py25-bar (or at least I hope soo)

Yup.

Most of it really is just common sense. I just want to formalize it for the future, so we have something to point to when we say No You Should Not Do This Anymore.

> This could be handled by the python** portgroups that are already in
> place after defining stable-version (or latest-stable) variable in the
> main portgroup.

Some of it can be handled in portgroups, but not all of it. For instance, deprecated subports really should be moved into separate metaports to keep the buildslaves from going crazy.

vq