imake

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 22:28:13 PDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> It does, with a little tweaking. But you're still right, it then
> proceeds to screw up the indentation in the Makefile.

Yeh. I got to know this stuff all to well trying to deal with Haskell's use
of CPP --- Haskell tokens just aren't compatible with C tokens, and there
simply is no way to reconcile them in a way that wil alow clang's CPP to
work properly in all cases. Some of those same screw cases come up here as
well, but at least you're spared the really nasty ones like the way single
quotes are sometimes Char literals, sometimes word characters, and then
there's Template Haskell's use of prefix '' for Lisp-style quoting of types.

My conclusion then was the same as now: ANSI CPP wants to be used on C, and
is completely unsuited for anything else.