Releasing code as portgroup instead of in base/ (was Re: imake)

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Sep 29 08:59:12 PDT 2014

On Sep 28, 2014, at 2:55 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Moving this code to a portgroup would make it possible for us to fix this problem and any other problems that might come up later without having to produce a new MacPorts release.

I think we really should move in the other direction:

-make releases easier
-less code in portgroups (move as much as possible to base/)

someone can say "I did foo with macports version x.y.z", it's hard for an end-user to know "I did foo with macports verison x.y.z and the revision of portgroup blah that I got in my last portsync which corresponds with rXXXXXX in your repo"

--
Daniel J. Luke