[123602] trunk/dports/python/py-astropy/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 30 15:18:19 PDT 2014

On Sep 30, 2014, at 4:55 PM, Sean Farley wrote:

> As for this exact issue, it could be something as simple as a fallback
> test:
>
> if checksum doesn't match and revision is new:
>  try downloading again
>  write state so we don't download in an infinite loop

That's a conceivable change. But let's look at what problems that particular change would involve:

* MacPorts would need to gain the capability to go back to a previous phase (fetch) after it has already been completed. Or perhaps simpler, MacPorts would need the ability to automatically clean a port and try it from the beginning based on some criteria. This would be quite useful for a number of issues MacPorts users currently experience, but it's not a capability that exists today.

* It assumes the port's revision will be increased. That's not always necessary. Sometimes the only change in the distfile is the name of (or presence of) the enclosing directory, or there are only changes in comments or documentation files or other files that don't affect the build, and in those cases there would be zero benefit to increasing the port's revision and forcing everyone to rebuild or redownload.

* The old distfile would get removed from our mirrors, making it impossible for anyone to later determine what exactly changed in the stealth update. Many maintainers handle stealth updates incorrectly. It is nice for others to be able to investigate after the fact.