[134799] trunk/dports/databases/postgis2/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 8 00:01:42 PDT 2015

On Apr 8, 2015, at 1:33 AM, Vincent Habchi wrote:

>> Did you want to change the default variant to postgresql94 since that is the latest stable version?
>
> Not at this point. Maybe when postgresql94 reaches version 9.4.2 or 3. It is always costly to migrate from one postgresql version to another one, so I always delay the bump a while.

True, but remember that the default variant only applies to new installations. Users who already had postgis2 installed will continue to use the variant they got when they installed it, even if the default later changes.

There has been talk of changing this behavior so that only variants the user explicitly requested are retained during upgrades, and that a port automatically switch to any then-current default variant on upgrades. But in the case of postgresql and other database servers where manual administrator intervention is required when switching versions, current MacPorts behavior is better.

There is also an advantage to having the default variant be the same in all ports. My strategy has been to switch a default variant to a new version when the new version becomes stable, and to let users who want new installations with old versions specify that by selecting the older variant. postgresql94 became stable in r129669 in December 2014, after which postgresql94 was made the default variant in php-postgresql in r129744; in pgAdmin3 in r129787; and in p5-dbd-pg in r130008. postgis2, py-psycopg2 and qgis remain on postgresql93.

> Besides, it lets a bit of time for the apps to accommodate the new version.

I don't recall any compatibility problems ever arising. Do you?