[135005] trunk/dports/x11/xinit/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 14 03:38:57 PDT 2015

On Apr 13, 2015, at 9:38 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:

> On 13.04.2015 12:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Apr 12, 2015, at 10:29 PM, ionic at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 135005
>>> Author
>>> ionic at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2015-04-12 20:29:57 -0700 (Sun, 12 Apr 2015)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> xinit: port to notes.
>>> Modified Paths
>>>
>>> 	• trunk/dports/x11/xinit/Portfile
>>
>>> +    if {${os.major} > 9} {
>>> +        notes-append {
>>> +                        To choose MacPorts' X11 as the default server, you must install xorg-server,\
>>> +        }
>>
>> It doesn't seem like there should be a backslash at the end of that line
>
> Actually... there should be, in that case.
>
> The "problem" is that this is not a real "block" but a list element.
> While a newline at the beginning is generally ignored by the notes base
> code, newlines at the end are not. Not escaping a newline there is thus

Oh, of course. I see now.

On Apr 13, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:

> Maybe the best way to create notes blocks is to compose the block via a
> unique variable like this:
>
> set note_block "foo"
> note_block-append "bar"
>
> and pass a single string to notes:
>
> notes-append [concat {*}${note_block}]

That feels pretty crummy to me. I would rather have the notes variable behave in a way that is easy for portfile authors to use. Whenever I've used notes-append I've also wanted to create a new paragraph each time, and found that hard to do. But I suppose we also have to accommodate ports that want to just continue from a previous sentence in the same paragraph.