Ports not listed as outdated

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 03:00:11 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> On 22.04.2015 09:00 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> MacPorts is behaving a bit weird. It doesn't report some outdated
>> ports and as a consequence doesn't upgrade them. I need some clues
>> about where I could look to diagnose the source of the problem.
>>
>>> port installed texlive-bin
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>   texlive-bin @2014_7+x11 (active)
>>> port info texlive-bin
>> texlive-bin @2014_8 (tex)
>>> port outdated
>> The following installed ports are outdated:
>> xterm 314_0 < 316_0
>> [and nothing else]
>
> Hints at an out of date PortIndex. Please check this. Try manually refreshing it with portindex. If that doesn't work, try completely rebuilding it with portindex -f.
>
> You have to be in the ports tree top dir for this to work.

Hm. Interesting.

Thank you, it seems that running portindex solved the problem indeed.
I now got a long list of outdated ports.

I didn't know that portindex had to be run on regular basis. I knew
one had to run it when adding a new port or subport, but usually
everything worked out of the box once the port was in the portindex.
But maybe I'm just biased. Usually I'm the one changing the ports in
my local repository and running "sudo port upgrade foo" just works. (I
never use "sudo port upgrade outdated" to try to install the latest
version of the port I modify myself, so I probably just never noticed
the problem so far.)

Thanks again and sorry for the noise,
    Mojca