Ports not listed as outdated

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 03:14:09 PDT 2015

On 22.04.2015 12:00 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Thanks again and sorry for the noise,

No, not noise. Let me explain why.

> Hm. Interesting.
>
> Thank you, it seems that running portindex solved the problem indeed.
> I now got a long list of outdated ports.

That's interesting indeed.

> I didn't know that portindex had to be run on regular basis. I knew
> one had to run it when adding a new port or subport, but usually
> everything worked out of the box once the port was in the portindex.
> But maybe I'm just biased. Usually I'm the one changing the ports in
> my local repository and running "sudo port upgrade foo" just works. (I
> never use "sudo port upgrade outdated" to try to install the latest
> version of the port I modify myself, so I probably just never noticed
> the problem so far.)

portindex must be executed every time you change a port to update the version numbers therein.
The reason is that the outdated set is calculated by looking at PortIndex.

Now, if that problem wasn't caused by YOU directly editing the Portfiles, there's something else going on.

The portindex is generated on the rsync machine, which is running Linux. If doing funky stuff that happens to abort Portfile parsing ungracefully (like not wrapping sysctl stuff in "catch"), the index will be stale for these ports.

Given that Marko has seen something similar, I wonder if we have that case for texlive-bin? (I.e., the Portfiles parses successfully on our Darwin systems, but fails on the Linux rsync master.)

May have been completely unrelated, though.

Mihai