Looking for opinions on authorization frameworks for Pallet

Kyle Sammons ksammons at macports.org
Fri Aug 7 13:46:07 PDT 2015

Hey Rainer,

I mean, most users already run the port command as root. Any security
> vulnerability that can be exploited in the GUI would most probably also be
> exploitable from the command line when running with 'sudo port'. Or what
> kind of
> vulnerability do you have in mind?

It'd most likely be more insecure due to the fact that Pallet has a
constant Tcl shell running in the background, as well as it's running the
entire GUI framework as root.

That would be very unfortunate. I would see the GUI as a way to give users
> easier access to MacPorts without the need to use the Terminal. Opening an
> app
> bundle should be the preferred way in my opinion.

In order to achieve that, I'd have to replace the current authorization
framework (option 1 of the original email). The only other option is that I
may be able to get a launcher type script working (double-click and a
"GUI-sudo" would launch Pallet as root).

-Kyle