[139862] trunk/base/portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl

David Evans devans at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 05:06:50 PDT 2015

On 8/31/15 2:22 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 4:07 AM, David Evans wrote:
>
>> But now I get
>>
>> $ port_binary_distributable.tcl -v empathy
>> "empathy" is not distributable because its license "cc-by-sa" conflicts with license "GPL-2+" of dependency "yelp-tools"
>>
>> yelp-tools is a build dependency of empathy.  Shouldn't port_binary_distributable.tcl only look at lib deps not build or
>> run deps when determining binary distributability?
>
> It needs to also look at build deps. A build dep might include a static library, for example.
>
> Ports like yelp-tools that don't install any libraries should indicate this via the line "installs_libs no"; license checks will then no longer be done for that port.
>
> I don't know about runtime deps.

My first thought was that they don't need to be included in the conflicts checking. But then
empathy uses a number of telepathy modules to implement the various chat protocols. They aren't linked into empathy but
launched (and communicate among themselves and empathy) via dbus at run time.  Empathy won't much without them. But can
their licenses potentially cause a conflict with empathy's? My understanding is that FSF uses linking as the test in
addition to the direct inclusion of code.