removing subport

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 11 16:29:32 PST 2015

On Dec 10, 2015, at 5:05 PM, David Strubbe wrote:

> I want to make the "gromacs-double" subport instead just a variant "gromacs +double" as I don't see any particular reason why both would need to be co-installed, and it seems clearer this way.
>
> How should one proceed for removing a subport, compared to the procedure for removing a port? https://guide.macports.org/#development.practices.rename-replace-port

Is gromacs a program or a library?

Would using this hypothetical +double variant change gromacs to be double-precision, or would it install double-precision components alongside the standard components which are always available?

My concern would be that if gromacs is a library that is used by other software, and if using the hypothetical +double variant changes the components that are installed (and not just adds additional components), then that might cause problems for that other software that uses gromacs. For example, that other software might have been built to expect single-precision components and might not work with double-precision components.

I didn't see any other ports declaring a dependency on gromacs but if it is a library then it could be used by other software outside of MacPorts, or in third-party MacPorts repositories.