OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts on OS X

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Feb 7 13:01:43 PST 2015

> On Feb 7, 2015, at 05:51, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> But I am! Please have a look at the logs I attached to the trac ticket...
>>
>> Jeremy wasn't, and that's the topic of this mail, about supposedly us
>> insulting him, because we closed his bugreport that he kept reopening,
>> while the whole time, he was hacking your buildsystem.
>
> In defense of Jeremy, I think he was. I took over the Portfile that had his signature, so I'm presuming that's what he used too.
> And it does a bootstrap before invoking configure.

I don't know where things stand today, but a couple years ago when I tried to help out, nobody was maintaining the VLC port in MacPorts, and it had aged quite a bit.  The VLC build system was an utter hack, and the Portfile that was managing it was equally repugnant.  I spent quite a bit of time getting us up to a modern version of VLC and also created the VLC-devel port to track upstream development versions in hopes of finding issues *before* they released them.

I got things into a decent state for us and reported bugs upstream to help them improve things for other distributions.  After multiple disagreements, I decided to just give up trying to help upstream.