OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts on OS X

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Feb 7 14:21:09 PST 2015

> On Feb 7, 2015, at 13:44, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
>
> On 07 Feb, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote :
>> I got things into a decent state for us and reported bugs upstream to help them improve things for other distributions.  After multiple disagreements, I decided to just give up trying to help upstream.
>
> Which disagreements?

Mainly, the hostility exuded by VLC developers.  As reference, you can see:

1) https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/9475
2) https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/10832
3) This thread.

> Of all your 9 bugs reported, all of them were fixed, in time.
> One, more info was requested and is still open, because of that.
>
> One of the bug was heated, and in the end, the issue where the port was
> a wrong sed in your buildsystem.

That sed usage had been there for years (well before I tried to start cleaning up the port).  It was using sed as part of generating some paths to run your 'genmf' script in.  Presumably, this was all added by someone before you guys added the bootstrap script.  I appreciate your (eventual) help in figuring that out, but the hostility was simply uncalled for.

> Yet, you reopened it 3 times, even after you were asked to not do that.

Yes, that is quite rude.  You should not be hostile and threatening to your users nor distros for reporting problems or reopening them if they are still unresolved.  This behavior is one of the reasons I decided to stop maintaining the VLC ports.

I will not be responding further.

--Jeremy