~/.macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 12 03:11:16 PST 2015

On Feb 11, 2015, at 4:00 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Tuesday February 10 2015 19:30:59 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I've also made additional changes to make it impossible for me to forget to use sudo:
>
> Could it be those are indeed quite necessary (i.e. you forgot to list the changes)? ;)

I listed the two changes at the end of my email.

>> You're talking about two different things.
>
> You know, I think that by now I have a pretty good idea about what's possible and what you guys consider the best approach.
> I agree that a shell wrapper alias is better than editing sudoers in that's (probably) more difficult for malware to exploit.

A shell alias and editing sudoers are both useful. I use both on my system (they are the two changes mentioned above). They accomplish two different things:

1. adding

alias port="sudo port"

to your bash startup file makes it so that you don't have to type "sudo" every time you type "port".

2. editing sudoers so that /opt/local/bin/port is allowed without password makes it so that you don't have to type your password every time you use "sudo port" (or, with the change from (1) above, whenever you use "port")