[MacPorts] #46844: help2man: add support for perl5.{16,18,20}

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Feb 15 10:34:17 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 5:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I also wouldn't have a problem with individual ports like help2man moving to newer perl versions like 5.20. I don't feel that we need to wait and try to do every single port at once, as that's likely to either not happen because of the amount of work involved or to introduce problems because of insufficient testing.

It would actually be really nice if someone would volunteer to create
a new ticket like this one:
    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/44405
to replace 5.16 with 5.20 and if we start the transition towards 5.20
(optimally before they release 5.22).

Being able to pick perl5_20 allows one to "get rid of" perl 5.16 and
allows for some more testing, but if 5.20 is supported out of the box,
there might be no need to offer the choice.

I like variants, but I hate one specific aspect of them: when user
installs one variant by default (for example +perl5_16) and when the
default shifts to, say, +perl5_20, the user's choice remains at the
old value (for no good reason) and the user no longer gets binary
archives. I usually experience this "problem" with +gcc4x or +clang3x.

Mojca