Naive question about perl versions (LaTeXML)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Feb 18 14:15:51 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Bruce Miller wrote:

> I've opened #46896 (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46896)
> to sort this out, and also to upgrade LaTeXML.

Thanks. I tried to create a patch. Please test if it works any better now.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> It sounds like the LaTeXML port builds itself differently (with different dependencies) depending on what variant of the perl5 port is installed. Ports that change their behavior depending on what other ports are already installed is an antipattern. Port builds should always do the same thing, regardless what else is already on the user's system. So I don't know why this functionality of the perl5 portgroup exists.

It seems that
    perl5.setup ${name} ${version}
without perl5.major being set in advance is the culprit. I attached a
patch that adds
    perl5.create_variants ${perl5.branches}
in front of perl5.setup which should (at least in theory) fix the
problem. But it seems that one would need to set that variable
explicitly in the Portfiles without variants.

Mojca