Listing the ports that will be upgraded in advance

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Feb 19 02:58:46 PST 2015

Hi,

When I install a new port, MacPorts lists all the new dependencies
that will be installed. But it never lists any of the dependencies
that need to be upgraded before installing that port***.

That sometimes really annoys me. Is this additional piece of
information easy to print in advance or does it require dirty
hacks/lots of code?

Thank you,
    Mojca

*** Yes, I know that in theory I would have to run "port upgrade
outdated" first, but in cases when:
- that would take days or hours to finish (yes, recompiling clang on
an old ppc notebook really takes something in the order of magnitude
of a day)
- the binary package is available, but I'm stuck with "old" variants
that I want to get rid of first to avoid compiling from source
I really prefer to pick the order of updates manually.