Listing the ports that will be upgraded in advance

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 04:33:11 PST 2015

On Thursday February 19 2015 11:58:46 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> That sometimes really annoys me. Is this additional piece of
> information easy to print in advance or does it require dirty
> hacks/lots of code?

I agree. It also happens that for (some reason) MacPorts decides to upgrade a dependency with another variant.
Had that today on a remote VM which apparently had a borked doxygen install, and which insisted on installing doxygen+docs because that variant exists and the dependent port was requested with that variant. I still don't understand, but finally a `upgrade --force` to reinstall the regular version solved the issue.

Mojca: I've grown the habit to use -n almost all the time to avoid unasked-for upgrading ... but as shown above that doesn't always prevent all upgrading ...