libc++, C++11, and C++14 on Leopard and Snow Leopard

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 07:55:13 PST 2015

On 19.01.2015 04:37 PM, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le 15/01/2015 20:24, René J.V. Bertin a écrit :
>> On Thursday January 15 2015 19:25:38 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> So I'm still stuck with gcc-4.2-only at the moment.
>>>
>>> I'm not asking for libc++ on PPC. I know that this might require quite
>>> a bit of effort, but I would like to know if *any* slightly more
>>> modern compiler could be built and used.
>> The latest gcc version I had on PPC before my Powermacs died was 4.2.3, which I think is ever so slightly more recent that what Apple shipped.
>>
>> I'd go have a look at what linux distros for that architecture provide.
> Debian's default on powerpc is gcc 4.9.2:

What about Minix? FreeBSD? GNU HURD?

Seriously, the FSF compiler won't cut it on OS X. Just as one example,
it can't produce fat binaries (i.e., binaries with multiple
architectures) and doesn't support the Apple Blocks extension. You won't
have a lot of fun with FSF GCC as your default compiler.

This is why we are either stuck with Apple's GCC or clang. If the latter
works, that is.

Mihai