[138221] trunk/dports/multimedia/mpv

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Sun Jul 5 07:30:35 PDT 2015

On 05.07.2015 10:32 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 2015, at 11:14 AM, ionic at macports.org wrote:
>> +# Remove after 06-28-2016.
>> +variant mp3 description {Legacy compatibility variant for MP3 support via mpg123. Will be removed soon.} {
>> +    notes-append "
>> +                   You have enabled the legacy mp3 variant.
>> +                   Upstream ceased using mpg123 in version 0.8.0 and removed support
>> +                   completely in 0.9.0.
>> +                   Decoding and playback of MP3 content is still available via
>> +                   ffmpeg, so no action is needed on your side.
>>  }
>
> If no action is needed on the user's part to continue to get mp3 support, then there is no reason not to remove the variant immediately. Keeping the variant only serves to confuse the user by printing a pointless message, and causes the user to have a non-default set of variants, meaning if there were binaries of this port, the user wouldn't be able to get them until they manually deselected this variant.

Hum, okay.

I only know the policy of keeping any variant to be removed around as a legacy
variant that does nothing for a year to provide a better upgrade path.

Also, if I just removed the mp3 variant, I feared users might panic and think
that MP3 playback is unsupported now (which is obviously not the case.)

Are you sure that's not breaking the previously mentioned policy?

Mihai