MacPorts on COW filesystem

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Jul 11 02:44:51 PDT 2015

----- On 11 Jul, 2015, at 11:35, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday July 11 2015 11:00:37 Clemens Lang wrote:
>
>>OK, that sounds like something you should also report to the developers of
>>SQLite.
>>They may not be aware of the performance of SQLite on ZFS. However, I'm not sure
>
> Erm, you do know that ZFS is used as the default fs on server-oriented OS
> flavours that are unlikely NOT to see sqlite-based applications?

I do know. Since you're still seeing performance regressions this isn't standard
enough to be well-optimized, apparently. Since it's also not exactly a default
setup on systems other than FreeBSD, I suggest you get in contact with the DBMS
developers to figure out if something can or needs to be done to ensure good
performance on ZFS.

> The apt/dpkg registry is built with xapian methinks, but other than that, which
> "developers of these databases"? The people who develop the application, or
> those who develop the technology behind the application (sqlite/xapian/...
> devs)?

The latter.

--
Clemens Lang