MacPorts on COW filesystem

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 03:12:38 PDT 2015

On Saturday July 11 2015 11:44:51 Clemens Lang wrote:

>enough to be well-optimized, apparently. Since it's also not exactly a default
>setup on systems other than FreeBSD, I suggest you get in contact with the DBMS

You're forgetting the whole SunOS/Solaris offspring family. That's where ZFS comes from; FreeBSD adopted it later (after the appearance of OpenZFS, IIRC).
Supposing SQLite3 does have built-in tuning for ZFS, the 1st question to ask would be how it's decided to apply them. I have no idea what cross-platform APIs exist to determine the type of filesystem a file is stored on.

Sideways related note to self: do suggest to the libarchive/bsdtar devs that --hfsCompression should be a stub when extracting to a fs that doesn't support HFS compression (using the flag on ZFS leads to "interesting" effects).

R.