IFEFFIT & Larch

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Jul 13 01:22:53 PDT 2015

Dear Joe and others,

We are having troubles with p5-ifeffit (a perl binding for ifeffit).
The module is currently broken and would require quite a bit of effort
to figure out how to fix it (and even if we do, it will be a real pain
to keep maintaining it).

What seems to be the main page of ifeffit
(http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Downloads) says:

<<<
Larch is now the replacement for the base Ifeffit functionality. Beta
and development versions of Larch are at
http://cars.uchicago.edu/xraylarch and
http://xraypy.github.com/xraylarch

I see that MacPorts provides versions beyond what's listed on official
website of ifeffit (http://packages.macports.org/ifeffit/), fetched
from github.

If possible, I would prefer to remove p5-ifeffit from MacPorts unless
a volunteer steps up who is willing to take over the burdens of
getting this port to work again. In particular in the light of the
official statement trying to redirect people to using "Larch" (a
software package that doesn't even exist in MacPorts yet – which seems
more important to fix that trying to fix an old, hardly maintained
software).

As a maintainer of ifeffit (p5-ifeffit has no maintainer) – can you
please suggest us what to do?

Thank you,
    Mojca