Migrating to Perl 5.20/5.22

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jul 14 02:37:54 PDT 2015

Hi,

The modules for Perl 5.20 and 5.22 are basically ready by now (and
thanks to David nearly all are also up-to-date). They haven't
undergone much testing, but there is no way we can do extensive
testing on 1000++ modules.

We should start migrating other ports that depend on Perl to a newer
version of Perl, but the question is: should we go to 5.22 or 5.20?
David proposed to go to 5.20 because 5.22 might be too new and not so
well tested yet.

But my fear is that given how much time it takes us to do the
migration, 5.20 might become unsupported by the time we finish the
transition and then we'll have to start it all over again to the new
version (5.22 or maybe ever 5.24 by then). If Perl 5.22 doesn't work
for some ports, they could go for 5.20 (or an earlier version for that
matter) or wait until a particular problem gets resolved. Once all
ports migrate off 5.16, we could do an automatic upgrade from 5.16 to
5.2x.

Any thoughts?

Mojca