Migrating to Perl 5.20/5.22

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jul 14 07:32:18 PDT 2015

> On Jul 14, 2015, at 5:37 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> We should start migrating other ports that depend on Perl to a newer
> version of Perl, but the question is: should we go to 5.22 or 5.20?
> David proposed to go to 5.20 because 5.22 might be too new and not so
> well tested yet.

5.22

5.22 is upstream’s ‘current’ version, and so by our normal policy it’s what we should pick. The only reason to go with 5.20 instead was if there was a known problem with 5.22 that we couldn’t patch (and even then, we should probably just address it with upstream and go with 5.22).

Once we move to 5.22, we should get rid of all of the old perls and just switch perl5 to be 5.22 and stop trying to support multiple perl versions.

--
Daniel J. Luke