Looking for some testers for Pallet

Jake Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Mon Jul 20 13:44:45 PDT 2015

> On Jul 20, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Kyle Sammons <ksammons at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> The progress on Pallet is now around the point where I need some other people to try to run it, to make sure it's building and running correctly on other systems. If you're interested in doing so, I've included the details on how to build and run it below (8 to 9 total steps):
>
> Generating a self-signed certificate (Only have to do this once):
> 1. Go to KeyChain Access
> 2. Click on KeyChain Access -> Certificate Assistant -> Create A Certificate...
> 3. Set the name to, "Self-signed Applications", without quotes.
> 4. Set the Identity Type to "Self Signed Root"
> 5. Set the Certificate Type to, "Code Signing"
> 6. Hit "Create"
>
> Pulling the code:
> 1. Create a new directory to put the code into (personal preference, really)
> 2. Run, "svn checkout https://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/gsoc15-pallet <https://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/gsoc15-pallet>"
>
> Building and running:
> 1. Run, "sudo sh build_and_run.sh", and if everything went correctly, it should build and begin running Pallet!
>
> If anything goes wrong (or right), if you could please tell me what happened, that'd be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> -Kyle

1. Why are you using Garbage Collection? The GC runtime will be outright removed from OS X in 10.12. You absolutely cannot use this - convert it to ARC.
2. Why does this need root to build?
3. Why the self-signed certificates?
4. Don't use specific versions of OS X SDKs. Have all targets always use the latest OS X SDK available on the build machine.

5. The application menu still has a bunch of document app related items (File > New, etc.) that look like they probably have no use in Pallet
6. The Info window shows white boxes until you hover over them

7. Close main Pallet window -> Authorization prompt (what??) -> Cancel -> SIGABRT
Jake Petroules - jake.petroules at petroules.com