Looking for some testers for Pallet

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Mon Jul 20 18:42:56 PDT 2015

On 20.07.2015 10:44 PM, Jake Petroules wrote:
> 1. Why are you using Garbage Collection? The GC runtime will be outright
> removed from OS X in 10.12. You absolutely cannot use this - convert it to
> ARC.

I think he likely knows. It's a non-trivial task though and he probably holds it
off to some later date.

> 2. Why does this need root to build?

Ah, I don't think it needs root to build. Only to actually run. There were
problems with the old authorization framework. I'm not sure the code was changed
to use the newer API yet.

> 3. Why the self-signed certificates?

Applications have to be signed to use the authorization framework IIRC. Thus, if
building from source, it must be signed with some certificate. Generating a new
self-signed one fulfills this purpose.

> 4. Don't use specific versions of OS X SDKs. Have all targets always use the
> latest OS X SDK available on the build machine.

AFAIK that was done on purpose. To create binaries/app bundles compatible even
with older versions.

> 5. The application menu still has a bunch of document app related items
> (File
> >> New, etc.) that look like they probably have no use in Pallet

Are you sure? Maybe File >> New just creates a new window that can be used for
other searching, e.g., while installing in the original window?

> 7. Close main Pallet window -> Authorization prompt (what??) -> Cancel ->
> SIGABRT

Hum... I wonder if that was ever tested...

Mihai