gimp2 @2.8.14_3: Breaking upgrade is not nice

Peter Brommer p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Jul 21 03:25:37 PDT 2015

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Peter
> On 20 Jul 2015, at 17:30, David Evans <devans at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 7/20/15 4:18 AM, Peter Brommer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> one of the gimp2 changsets http://trac.macports.org/changeset/138249 broke the gimp2 upgrade process for those of us who had gimp2 with quartz and help_browser active. The mutual exclusiveness of those two variants was added in that changeset.
>>
>> I understand that changes like these need to happen every now and then, but I do want to complain that the error message makes it in my opinion not obvious enough that recent changes to the port cause the error, and how to resolve this issue by hand.
>>
>> To make my point: this is the error message reported by port upgrade outdated for gimp2:
>>
>> Error: gimp2: Variant quartz conflicts with help_browser
>> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
>>
>> And this is the error for gtk-osx-application
>> --->  Configuring gtk-osx-application
>> Error:
>> The gtk-osx-application port has been replaced by 'gtk-osx-application-gtk2'
>> and 'gtk-osx-application-gtk3'.
>> Please `sudo port deactivate gtk-osx-application`
>> followed by `sudo port upgrade -u outdated` or another command to update.
>> Then if all works as intended `sudo port uninstall gtk-osx-application`
>>
>> Error: org.macports.configure for port gtk-osx-application returned:
>> Please see the log file for port gtk-osx-application for details:
>>     /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_gtk-osx-application/gtk-osx-application/main.log
>> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
>>
>> The latter one gives clear instructions on how to resolve this issue, the other one leaves the user scrambling to google for help (which, incidentally does not even bring up a how-to page or something like that).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter

> Peter --
>
> Thanks for your input.  As you have probably figured out by now, the solution is to just use
>
> port install gimp2-devel
>
> rather than upgrade due to the change in default variants.  Upgrade tries to build using the currently installed variants by default.
> The --enforce-variants option to upgrade can also be helpful.

My solution was to use --enforce-variants gimp2 +quartz -help_browser together with the -n option. I think it’s working now.

> The point of this update was to disable +help_browser as a default variant when using +quartz because its dependency webkit-gtk is currently broken
> in this case {1] and its not clear what the problem is.  Working on it.  In the meantime, the port is, hopefully, useful (without
> the help browser).
>
> The message presented is the default one in this case and it seemed that the fact that the variants conflict would make it
> evident that you should install with just one or the other.  But I can see now it might be confusing to the casual user at first glance.

IMHO it’s not that obvious that a failed port upgrade is resolved by port install. The enforce-variants solution seems more directly related to the problem, but you might need the -n option to prevent enforcing variants all the way down the dependency tree, even when it is not necessary.

> Note that this is the development version of the port taken from upstream git.  It's provided for testing purposes without warranty and is not recommended
> for production environments.

Just out of curiosity: Which one would be the stable version?

Peter

Dr Peter Brommer  —  e-mail: p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Assistant Professor, Centre for Predictive Modelling
School of Engineering, University of Warwick, Library Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Office: D208 — Phone: +44 (0) 24 765 28613
Homepage: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/pbrommer
PGP Key: 2048R/B6DEA483 Fingerprint: 5B6F F30A 9999 79C0 16CD 939E B406 9D2A B6DE A483