gimp2 @2.8.14_3: Breaking upgrade is not nice

David Evans devans at macports.org
Tue Jul 21 10:39:46 PDT 2015

On 7/21/15 3:25 AM, Peter Brommer wrote:

> Peter --
>
> Thanks for your input.  As you have probably figured out by now, the solution is to just use
>
> port install gimp2-devel
>
> rather than upgrade due to the change in default variants.  Upgrade tries to build using the currently installed variants by default.
> The --enforce-variants option to upgrade can also be helpful.
> My solution was to use --enforce-variants gimp2 +quartz -help_browser together with the -n option. I think it’s working now.
Good.

>> The point of this update was to disable +help_browser as a default variant when using +quartz because its dependency webkit-gtk is currently broken
>> in this case {1] and its not clear what the problem is.  Working on it.  In the meantime, the port is, hopefully, useful (without
>> the help browser).
>>
>> The message presented is the default one in this case and it seemed that the fact that the variants conflict would make it
>> evident that you should install with just one or the other.  But I can see now it might be confusing to the casual user at first glance.
> IMHO it’s not that obvious that a failed port upgrade is resolved by port install. The enforce-variants solution seems more directly related to the problem, but you might need the -n option to prevent enforcing variants all the way down the dependency tree, even when it is not necessary.

For the record, I mis-typed my suggestion.  I should have said

port install gimp2-devel +quartz

Install will deactivate the active version of the port (if it is
different than what you are requesting)  and install a separate instance
of the port using the variants that you specify on the command line. If
you omit any variant, the default for that variant will apply.  The old
port remains installed as inactive. Then you can uninstall the old port
if you like.  You're approach does it all in one step.
>> Note that this is the development version of the port taken from upstream git.  It's provided for testing purposes without warranty and is not recommended
>> for production environments.
> Just out of curiosity: Which one would be the stable version?

gimp2 is built from the current stable tarball version 2.8.14.
gimp2-devel is the upstream development version leading to a future 2.10
stable release.
Both of these use gtk2.  gimp3-devel is built from the upstream git
branch, gtk3-port, which is the effort to port GIMP to gtk3, looking to
a future 3.0
stable release.  This last version is definitely a work in progress at
this point and is provided for those who want to test and provide
feedback to the
upstream developers.

An additional port, gimp, will install an OS X app bundle that can be
used to launch whichever active GIMP port you have installed and adds
some additional plugins that might be useful.  The plugins are
compatible with the gtk2 versions only.

In MacPorts useage, ports with the  -devel suffix are generally unstable
development versions of a given port.  This is somewhat different than
the customary usage in Linux distributions.  When in doubt

port info <portname>

can usually resolve any uncertainty.

Hope this answers your questions.  I hope you've now got things working
to your satisfaction.

Dave