Looking for some testers for Pallet

Landon J Fuller landonf at macports.org
Wed Jul 22 12:20:29 PDT 2015

On Jul 20, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Jake Petroules <jake.petroules at petroules.com> wrote:

> 4. Don't use specific versions of OS X SDKs. Have all targets always use the latest OS X SDK available on the build machine.

To be fair, you can’t really win here: specifying “latest SDK” is a recipe for having your build break with every Xcode update, while on the other hand, Apple is removing previous SDKs versions with each Xcode update.

Despite using only published API, my experience is that keeping a project like PLCrashReporter building reliably across just a couple versions of Xcode requires code changes for every single Xcode release, which means that tagged releases tend to have a binary lifetime of years[1], and a source build lifetime of 6-12 months.

Specifying your target SDK explicitly at least advertises that a tagged release may very well not work with your latest version of Xcode, and what SDK/Xcode releases it *will* build with.

-landonf

[1] Indefinite, actually; pretty much the only time stable code has to change is when Apple themselves breaks API invariants, or we need to support a new architecture.