GSoC Project: Revitalizing Pallet

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 21:34:09 PDT 2015

Hi Kyle,

On 02/06/2015, at 11:15 AM, Kyle Sammons wrote:
> Ian wrote:
> Well, Kyle, if you are interested, I could send you the code of Fossick and a
> specification/design document.  You would be welcome to re-use any of it or
> any of the ideas contained in it
>
> Thanks for the offer, Ian! I'm working on getting the darn thing to compile on modern versions of OS X first, then I'll be considering different options and moving forward there. I'll definitely keep your offer in mind, and I'll make sure to reach out to the community before I do anything too crazy to make sure it's what we really want/need. :)

Watch out for the "evolutionary" changes in Cocoa/OSX/ObjectiveC across
successive versions of OS X !!!  I was particularly having problems figuring out
exactly what to write and for which OS X, in the light of *major* changes in:

    - Dynamic storage management (DIY vs. garbage-collect vs. reference-counting),
    - The GUI designer (Interface Builder) and its relationships (or links) to generated
       and hand-written chunks of code.

Fundamental stuff.  It did not help that I was also teaching myself Objective C… :-)
nor that I have been designing and coding for various GUI and forms designers for
about 40 years now.  Each one is or was unique in its own way.

Maybe Pallet won't even work with newer versions of Xcode, even if you can compile
it.  Pallet code is quite old now.  I was (and still am) using Lion (OS X 10.7.5) and Xcode
4.6.1 and do not remember any particular problems compiling Pallet.

Cheers, Ian W.