GSoC Project: Revitalizing Pallet

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 03:21:28 PDT 2015

On Tuesday June 02 2015 14:34:09 Ian Wadham wrote:

>Watch out for the "evolutionary" changes in Cocoa/OSX/ObjectiveC across
>successive versions of OS X !!!  I was particularly having problems figuring out

+++ ObjC would be a great language if it weren't so tightly coupled to an OS :-/ Which also raises the question back to what OS you want to support with a GUI written with native APIs that are not AppleScript or something similar...

>    - Dynamic storage management (DIY vs. garbage-collect vs. reference-counting),

AFAIU this has actually become easier with the introduction of ARC, and applications that were written correctly require little change.

>    - The GUI designer (Interface Builder) and its relationships (or links) to generated
>       and hand-written chunks of code.

That is one piece of RTFM software that proves itself each time I have to use it every once in a blue moon. Sadly I have to add Xcode itself to that category since it became an all-integrated Große Bertha that rivals Eclipse :(

Actually, MacPorts is a clone or descendant of BSD port, no? Isn't there a BSD variant (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, PC-BSD, ...) that already developed a GUI interface to the CLI command that could be ported (and not necessarily to Cocoa).

R.