Setting up MacPorts libsolv branch and Testing libsolv search

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Mon Jun 22 07:53:38 PDT 2015

Hi Ryan,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Thanks. I read the post but haven't tried installing the branch yet.
>
> It would be good if libsolv would be installed automatically when this branch is installed (much like Tcl is automatically installed). The absence of this functionality means that building the branch will fail for users who do not have libsolv installed. That includes our automated build server, so you're missing out on the benefits automated test builds provide.
>
> http://build.macports.org

Yes we will indeed find a way to do so. Currently we were more into
getting libsolv to work with MacPorts and it works well too :). So for
the time being we need to build libsolv (as mentioned in blog post).
First, we wanted to decide which parts of libsolv to integrate with
current code and then after testing and achieving desired results we
were going to include libsolv along.

Thanks for mentioning about shipping libsolv along with the branch for
testing purposes. I would like to focus more on getting the dependency
engine of libsolv to work with MacPorts, then probably work on getting
variants to work with libsolv and decide which parts of libsolv will
be required for MacPorts.

We do have a libsolv port but the upstream version is not yet released
(which supports Tcl bindings), probably we will fix it using patch
file so that setting up libsolv will be just "port install libsolv".
This seems to be a better option than building from upstream (which is
a bit tedious job) so that other users can start testing the branch
ASAP and not wait to build lot of other stuff manually.

--
Jackson Isaac