pypi

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Jun 22 14:18:55 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Also: wouldn't it be nice to have some pypi portgroup that would
>> automatically set:
>> - livecheck
>> - distname
>> - homepage
>> - master_sites
>> and possibly other things.
>>
>> The following expression:
>>    master_sites        pypi:[string index ${python.rootname}
>> 0]/${python.rootname}
>> while being very generic, looks very ugly and is not very
>> "human-readable"/friendly. It would so much better fit into the
>> portgroup.
>
> I want to add these defaults to python-1.0 but haven't worked out the interaction with other portgroups.
>
> I don't think it would make much sense to have a separate pypi-1.0 portgroup. So many Python ports fetch from PyPI, and _only_ Python ports fetch from PyPI. We'd end up with quite a bit of
>
>         PortGroup python 1.0
>         PortGroup pypi 1.0
>
> which seems like needless repetition.

OK, I agree. Something in the Python PortGroup could take care of
these settings, but in any case the defaults should not influence all
python ports. You would end up with
   PortGroup python 1.0
   pypi_something something
anyway, but yes, certainly better than having two PortGroups for
almost no big added benefit..

>> Also, that particular port is now called
>>    name py-GeomagPy
>> I would prefer to have a port "py-geomagpy" with some settings like
>>    pypi.setup GeomagPy 0.1.328
>> that would automatically set the proper homepage, distname etc.
>> without having to use the CamelCase name for the package (which is
>> currently being used for no good reason other that the ease of
>> fetching files).
>
> I really don't like setup procs.

What is a good alternative for them?

> I do not think we should not create any more of them.

Wasn't that the double negation? ;)

> I hope you don't think I was berating you; I just wanted to let you (and everyone else) know that there are some nice shortcuts now (as of ~2 days ago) :)

No, of course not. I wasn't aware about the option. Thanks for
pointing it out, even though if you want to inform the others, you
might want to do that in a different way. I have a tendency to delete
e-mails with subject that looks like a reply to a SVN commit and so
might others.

But now that the functionality is there, it might make sense to
automate it even further.

Mojca