python + fortran: seeking help

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Jun 28 02:09:12 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> Hi Mojca - Fortran and Python aren't generally the easiest mix. NumPy
> and SciPy struggle with them, too. Some projects provide a reasonable
> configuration or setup interface into which one can specify a specific
> compiler for CC, CXX, F90, FF, whatever & their *FLAGS too; some don't.
> I haven't looked at these projects specifically, so I can't say which
> way they go; but, I'd guess from your comment that they are of the type
> which make one struggle. That said, the light at the end of the tunnel
> is that once you do figure out how to do it, setting the various
> compilers usually works really well inside the project. How to get from
> here to there? Hacking, persistence, and luck? - MLD

One of things that I would like to get right are the variants to
switch between different Fortran compilers (possibly explicitly
disabling Fortran support by default).

I believe that only some parts of the packages depend on Fortran
anyway. I was able to get the part that I needed working without a
problem already, but I would imagine that it would opportunistically
link against Fortran if it found one (called "gfortran" for example).

(Yesterday I was listening to a presentation from one of the heavy
users [coworker of one of the main developers] and he claimed that one
didn't have to worry about installing a C compiler at all. Maybe he
simply wasn't aware of the need to install a C compiler since "pip
install" works out of the box, but I'm almost sure that he didn't
install a Fortran compiler on his mac. He wasn't a MacPorts or a
HomeBrew user.)

Mojca