port upgrade outdated order

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:10:59 PST 2015

On Wednesday March 04 2015 09:26:10 Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Port bugs are never OK. A diagnostic/debugging mode that is forced on in
> some port as a hackaround for port bugs instead of fixing the port is
> *also* never OK.

When a port fails to build because the project/package/whatever it provides doesn't support building with a previous version present, is that a port bug?

I see only 1 conclusion to which this sort of reasoning can lead: such ports should be kicked out of MacPorts...

BTW, once trace mode is made the default, it can no longer be considered a diagnostic/debugging mode, IMHO ...
At least not the part that blocks access to things that are not explicit dependencies, because in the end that has a similar effect as Debian/Ubuntu's build bots which create a new VM that pulls in only the required dependencies for every package that is built.

R.